The Direct Download edition:
- Allows for discounted upgrades.
- Allows for access to beta releases. Beta releases are typically stable, but include new functionality/fixes planned for the next release.
- More of the money goes to developer.
- Uses a license key.
- TextSoap Menu bundled with app.
The Mac App Store edition:
- Major upgrades require a new purchase (App Store does not support discounted upgrade options).
- Updates are required to go through Apple's approval process which can take an indeterminate amount of time from submission.
- Uses Mac App Store for licensing, no need to keep track of a license key.
- TextSoap Menu is a separate app (available on the App Store).
- Features can be limited (now or later) by Apple changing App Store rules.
There may be additional differences than those listed above. We continue to try to keep the two editions of the app as close in functionality as we can.